Sunday, August 28, 2022

The State of Things

It's 2022, but I guess I started to type something in 2020. Probably some depressing stuff about the state of the world or whatever. I obviously don't post here much at all anymore. I'm not interested in sharing details of my life anymore, in any case. That said, I'm happy to share my gaming-related content, so going forward that will likely be the only things ever sporadically posted.

Speaking of: I've recently become acquainted and subsequently fallen in love with a website/community called RetroAchievements that uses an emulator frontend called RetroArch (among others) to allow for custom achievements in classic games via emulation. It's extremely cool, and frankly it's better than 99% of modern rereleases and what not of most retro games (on the platforms that support achievements/trophies, anyway [Nintendo once again is about 10 years behind]). I've had fun earning achievements in Zelda Ocarina of Time, Kirby, Mario, various video pinball games, and many others.

I've gotten the opportunity to help on a few sets, too. Chu Chu Rocket is upcoming, and I really enjoyed both naming and brainstorming achievement concepts for it. Skies of Arcadia was the first I was able to help with, which was almost entirely based on naming them (not all of them, mind you, but many). I'd like to become a developer on there one day and help create some sets all on my own, if only so I don't feel like I'm bothering someone who may have already had achievement concepts, names, etc. of their own. I will retool some of my older links to match this current RetroAchievements paradigm.

As an aside; I have posted quite a few YouTube videos of random gaming things over the last few years, and I also have an Instagram that I post many pictures and videos on (mostly of bugs, but also of my dog and cat).

-AfroRyan
I'll retire this format of post-script messages too. RIP PS.

No comments: