Thursday, March 07, 2013

1UP posts

So 1UP.com is on its way out. It's sad to see it go, if only because I feel like it still has a pretty good way to track and build a game collection. 1UP had some pretty good content too, arguably the best online from the major gaming network sites (1UP, IGN, GameSpy, Kotaku, etc.), but that isn't exactly saying much unfortunately. Regardless, I had a few laughs over the years thanks to 1UP, and I made a few posts that I'd like to back up once the inevitable comes and the site is taken down. I'll provide a little context before each post. Sorry for stupid internet speak; be happy I don't do that anymore. Here we go!



A reply on Tetsuya Mizuguchi's blog on his birthday.

I love you

Posted: Aug 02, 2005 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I think it's really cool that you and Will Wright got to talk to each other. In my opinion, you two are some of the greatest innovators in videogaming. Your Lumines comment intrigues me...being a big fan myself (I would have been disappointed with my PSP purchase had Lumines not existed), I can't wait for a sequel. Obviously, custom music would rock (although I don't really know how hard it would be to pull that off)...but with your comment on how cool the STREAMING audio and video on PSP was...well...I can't even comprehend what you may be thinking. Good luck in all your endevours!

P.S. another happy belated birthday.


A reply on the reveal of the Revolution's (Wii's) controller reveal. I'm a wizard.

...If Yuji Naka Likes...

Posted: Sep 16, 2005 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
then samba de amigo would be a snap on the revolution! SSS55SSSWWWWWEEEEEEEEE3E3EEEETTTT77T!1!11!1!!1


A reply on Tesuya Mizuguchi's blog where he was asking about HD gaming.

What I want from games in the future...

Posted: Sep 16, 2005 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I don't care about hi-def as long as gameplay remains the target goal from the designer. Sure, Hi-def is great and all, but if it takes away from development time in the gameplay area, then I could care less.

As far as what I want to see in games in the future...as long as they're fun, that's all I care about. As far as I'm concerned, story is icing on the cake, as are good graphics and sound. Your games are always a blast to play, and that's great. There's a small problem I have with them though...most of your games deal with rhythm and sound (which is awesome), that being so, it would be really hard for deaf people to really play those games and have fun...maybe by having the option to turn rhythmic rumble on or off, deaf gamers could have more fun with your titles.

Keep up the great work!


A reply on the announcement of a new SNK vs Capcom Card game.

Wow, just...wow.

Posted: Sep 16, 2005 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I can't believe it! I never would have imagined this getting a[nother] sequel. Hopefully they'll release the Japanese only sequel over here sometime too! Hell, maybe even a compilation!


Me pointing out to another user that Every Extend is not Rez.

RE: Malek-Sultan...again

Posted: Apr 27, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Yes and no. A game called Every Extend was designed by an independent programmer known as Omega. Mizuguchi saw potential in the game, and together they have collaborated on Every Extend Extra. Stylistically speaking, sure, it looks a bit like Rez...otherwise, they're completely different games.


Me complaining about terrible (and predictable) English music in Lumines 2 (funny how they kind of dropped that).

Gimme the Japanese Version.

Posted: Jul 18, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Screw that crap! I'd much rather have music I haven't really heard...make's it more fun, less predictable.


Me arguing that story doesn't really matter in most genres.

I honestly don't want anything much deeper than...

Posted: Jul 25, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 or Super Mario World when it comes to action/platforming games. FPS games could go either way. RPGs, of course. Racing, no. Fighting, maybe. Adventure, sure, but not necessary. Puzzles, absolutely not. Still, it really burns me with all the lame "Platformers need storyline" crap. Thanks a ton, Jak and Daxter *sarcasm*.


Me laying down some truth in a reply to the above post.

Re Bloodshine.

Posted: Jul 25, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
No, I am not confused. That's my opinion for how much I think story matters per genre. In my mind, the only genre that NEEDS a story is RPG, and even then, it's not 100% necessary (see Paper Mario). However, I strongly disagree with the idea that Zelda is "dependent" or even driven by the storyline. Sure, Zelda has a story, a deep one at that...but rarely is it forced onto the player. Zelda (and a few other adventure games, like Ico) are more about the experience and enjoyment gained from the game, not the story. Case-in-point, in Zelda: OoT, you don't NEED to know hardly anything in the story to figure out what to do or where to go. You can rely on the items in your inventory to figure out logically what should come next. EX: Wow, I got a hookshot...maybe I should use it someplace with a lot of wood...like a forest. Metal Gear Solid is another great example. The gameplay AND the story are stellar. Both stand alone as "awesome" in the books of many gamers. However, MGS doesn't rely so heavily on the story that the gameplay is altered. Example: MGS, VR Missions. No story to speak of, but a stellar game none-the-less. There are other examples in the genre, though, that only depend on story, and gameplay suffers as a result. Perfect example would be Headhunter. Before it came out, everyone was super pumped about its high production values; cool music, movie-like story, etc. But when it came out, it was blatantly obvious the gameplay became an afterthought. Games like Jak and Daxter use story as a crutch to keep players focused, an excuse for lazy level design, etc. The thing I can't comprehend is the how little people even noticed! I mean, sure, the story was good enough for things like that to be overlooked just to figure out what's going to happen next...but if Zelda can do it without forcing it on you, then why do so many other games depend on it? I guess the main point I'm trying to get across is this: games shouldn't use story as an excuse to get players from point A to point B. Instead, the story should compliment what should be the main focus of any game; gameplay. P.S. I am NOT trying to incite a flame war. My opinion that Jak and Daxter is a lazy attempt at a game is just that; my opinion. Feel free to think what you want, I'm not trying to change your mind.


A reply to a story about Sega reviving an old franchise via Planet Moon (I don't know what the result was, btw).

I hope it's Gain Ground...

Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
because that game rocks. That game would rock SO hard on XBLA, but PSP would be fine too.


A reply to there not being any Mother games after Mother 3.

Actually...

Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
In a recent interview, he said that even though he doubted he'd ever work on another Mother game, that doesn't keep Nintendo from hiring someone else to do it, and that doesn't really bother him.


Me predicting the future again. In reply to the first Family Guy game announcement.

Anyone remember the Futurama videogame?

Posted: Aug 24, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
It had all the voice talent and writers from the show, and lord knows they're a more talented group of people, but that game still came out sucking pretty hard. Sure, the only redeemable aspect of the game was that the writers and voice talent were on board...so, I kind of expect the same thing might happen here.


Penny Arcade makes a game that takes way too long to complete, but I didn't know that then.

OH SNAP!

Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
They'd better have a Merch based level.


I still think Space Girrafe is a cool Tempest clone. Also why are Frequency and Amplitude still not on XBLA?

Can't Wait!!!

Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Now if only the Tempest inspired game Frequency could make it onto XBLA...all my dreams would come true. Oh, and those screenshots are hilarious.


Hey, Gain Ground eventually did come out. Also it came out on the Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Gain Ground better make it

Posted: Sep 12, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
It's probably the most underappreciated Genesis game of all time. Vapor Trail (or Ku-Ga) would be great too.



True story: I love Zuma now. In reference to the first iPod games.

Tetris = worth it...anything else...nah

Posted: Sep 12, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Tetris rules on anything (even calculator), so why not iPod? Zuma seems a nice fit with the click wheel...but I just don't like that game enough to care.


Meteos on console wasn't nearly as good as its DS counterpart, but it's still alright.

Holy Crap!

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Awesome. Can't wait for online Meteos!


I actually like Sony more now, because they've humbled themselves in the past few years.

Sony Sucks.

Posted: Oct 08, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Period. They take credit for games they had nothing to do with (Like Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry), rarely take credit for the AWESOME games they make (They would much rather harp on GTA than compliment ICO or God of War), and they constantly ignore people's complaints. They would argue (much as they have here) that the complaints are eventually rectified, even though they haven't been. No, gamers just put up with it; tolerate it. I've had enough of Sony's BS for a long time now. I really hope the PS3 leads to their ultimate downfall. Hopefully someone like Nintendo recruits members from the team behind ICO and Shadow of the Colosus, and Microsoft grabs up the guys behind God of War, cause it WOULD be a shame to loose great games like those once Sony's gone...looking ahead, I know.


Predicting the future again. Nintendo (and Microsoft) has tried, and has had little success.

One Step at a Time...

Posted: Oct 10, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
You really think Nintendo could get us gamers both physically active AND healthy sunshine, all in one console? That's for the next generation of consoles: solar powered. Then gamers will be more like the "normals." You know; the people who go outside and exercise every once in a while? ppphhhfff, like that'll ever happen.


I advertise Coke for some reason and Sam and Max still rocks.

Gametap is free for me...

Posted: Oct 17, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Kind of. I get two months at a time through "My Coke Rewards." I'm addicted, you see. Still, it's pretty awesome that just for drinking coke and registering stupid points into the interweb results in me getting free gametap. At first I doubted that I could enter a code after the first 2 months was up...but it let me. So I guess as long as Coke offers that one, I'm on board. Sam and Max rock btw. I hope Tell Tale picks up DOTT, then all would be complete.


The Halo movie never happened, but some sweet commercials and stuff were made. Also that feature length "not movie" for Halo 4, Forward Unto Dawn, which is great.

This is good news in my mind.

Posted: Oct 20, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Anything to keep big movie companies from ruining it is fine by me. Who better to make a Halo movie than Msoft, Bungie, and WETA. I don't know about everyone else, but I want a Halo movie, not a movie "based on Halo."


Some developers win awards and I'm happy for them. I wouldn't have been had I known how bad Spore would turn out.

All good picks.

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Will Wright certainly deserves his place, with Sims behind him, and the awesomeness that is Spore in front of him. Kojima should get an award in writing, cause the lore set up in the MGS series is second to none...and Snatcher, MAN is it awesome. Mizuguchi deserves props as well, but I'm not so upset that he's at 50. For the time that Q? has been around, they've only released a handful of games, so it's impressive that he made it at all. I love Mizuguchi, but honestly his innovation comes from taking set genres, and "awesome-o-fying" them, not from defining or redefining a genre (like Will Wright).


Hey, Gain Ground came out on Virtual Console [in Japan]! It still isn't on XBLA, but it is in SUGC, as mentioned above.

Gain Ground!

Posted: Nov 01, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
w00t! Now if only Sega would release an online version on XBLA, my life would be complete.


I criticize 1up for using digg (remember that? It was like reddit, except...well...hmmmmm).

OLD

Posted: Nov 13, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Penny Arcade even has a comic on it: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/06/02#1149233880 Almost half a year old. Yeah 1up, digg's pretty great, but they're not ALWAYS the fastest.

Remember when PS3 was mostly backwards compatible? Yeah, most people don't...

Not surprising

Posted: Nov 13, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
PS2 didn't have PERFECT backwards compatibility either. If PS2 is any indication, I doubt people will care too much with the PS3. And besides, they could always update the firmware to make it better.


Soul Calibur was an awesome launch game for Dreamcast. PS3's launch sucked in comparison.

The Soul Still Burns...

Posted: Nov 26, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
That's really all I have to say.


Hey, they were added eventually!

Games...need...more...

Posted: Nov 29, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Gain Ground for Genesis and Bonk's Revenge for TurboGraphics-16 drastically need to be added to this list.


People complain that Roboblitz was $15. I said (and still say) it's amazing.

Are you guys serious?

Posted: Dec 05, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Are you too lazy to go find a movie? The game looks friggin' amazing, and looks really fun too. I can't wait!


I still debate whether I like Bonk's Adventure or Bonk's Revenge better. Back then I preferred Revenge.

Whatever, I want Bonk's Revenge!

Posted: Dec 07, 2006 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Best. Bonk. Game. Ever.


I criticize 1UP for messing up buttons on the Wii in comparison to the NES.

...by A and B buttons you of course mean...

Posted: Jan 23, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
the 1 and 2 buttons.


I make a comment on my pal Nathan's rant about PS3. I still use this quote frequently.

But Nathan...

Posted: Jan 23, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I heard the graphics on it was crazy!


This still scares me.

This scares me...

Posted: Feb 08, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I'm at a loss for words. It could be great, but of all the great games that could be ruined by movies, Metal Gear could suffer the worst. ESPECIALLY if it's done by an American Production house. Metal Gear may have an undeniably American-centric storyline, but in style it reeks of Japanese (in a good way). At least with the Halo movie we know Peter Jackson and WETA are involved...but at this junction...Sony could...ugh..Uwe Boll...*vomits*


Activision was super retarded back then. They're only moderately better today.

Screw Activision

Posted: Feb 09, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Seeing how Konami can allow such a blatant rip-off as Stepmania to exist, it amuses me that Activision is getting their panties in such a twist. Sure, Stepmania is non-profit, but man...Activision should really just grow a pair. They're just lucky Konami doesn't sue them over Guitar Freaks!


PS3s were easy to find, despite Sony claiming otherwise.

I live in Southern Illinois

Posted: Feb 28, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
REDACTED, to be precise. Carbondale (college town, home of SIU) is right next to us. REDACTED has 5 places that sell PS3s (Wal-Mart, Target, EB Games, Sams Club, and Toys R Us). Pretty easy to get one. I'd say there's about 3 in stock per store on average at any given time for the last couple months. Also, I frequent Carbondale, and they have a Gamestop, Wal Mart, and a huge Best Buy...not hard to get one there either. I'll admit that SOMETIMES you may not be able to find one at every store...but nearly 100% of the time you could get one SOMEWHERE in the area at at least one of the retailers.


Playstation Home isn't a terrible idea for a free advertising sort of thing.

Dang...

Posted: Mar 01, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I'm scared to admit that this actually sounds cool. Sure, it's a total rip off, and it COULD suck, but the idea of having Miis crossed with achievement points...crossed with Animal Crossing...well, it doesn't sound too hard to mess up. Thing is, the core PS3 audience (technophiles/rich fanboys) won't really give a crap. I'm a Sega/Nintendo fan, and even I think that sounds "kiddy." Not saying I wouldn't like it, but unless every Playstation fan ever is a hypocrite, then they SHOULD hate this new feature, or at the very least think it's "stupid to teh max!"


I really love Every Extend Extra.

Awesome news!

Posted: Mar 06, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Sure, lack of Rez sucks, but E4 sounds awesome! I loved E2, and E3 even more than E2, but with the inclusion of custom music, E4 is sure to steal my heart away. About Rez though...why don't people understand how HARD that would be? Rez is a Sega trademark, and if anyone were to announce a new Rez, it would be Sega, not Mizuguchi...not that Sega couldn't collaborate with Mizuguchi, but just assuming Mizuguchi's "new" game is going to be Rez is kind of stupid. Now if Sega announced a game that they were making in collaboration with Q Entertainment, THAT would be the time to get excited.


Praising the Torque Engine.

Torque...

Posted: Mar 06, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Awesome stuff man. It blows me away that Marble Blast Ultra looks as good as it does, while at the same time being less than 50 MB. I knew Penny Arcade like GarageGames, so this isn't that surprising...but it's still great news.


I criticize Sony for being stupid.

But I thought...

Posted: Mar 06, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Isn't rumble a last generation feature? Why downgrade when you have an obviously superior technology. Oh wait, that's right, rumble is awesome and Sony sucks for saying it's outdated. Just because motion sensing is the next big thing doesn't mean you have to throw out the last big thing. "Oh, those analog sticks...they are so 2 generations ago!"


I'm sad that Castle Crashers didn't come out fast.

Dang...

Posted: Mar 09, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I was really hoping it was going to be sooner rather than later. With that recent trailer they released, I thought that was a fine assumption. Oh well.


Loco Roco 2 was announced, and was implied to be a PS3 title.

Good, if not predictable news

Posted: Mar 09, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Hell, there's a loco roco gamer pic (or "avatar," whatever) that's preloaded on every PS3 (along with Kratos and a few other Sony characters). I'm certainly excited. Too bad the only good use Sony can come up with for the sixaxis is in the form of downloadable games...


I'm pumped for Castlevania SotN on XBLA.

I'm pumped!

Posted: Mar 19, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Can't wait! Wednesday can't come soon enough!



Katamari goes multiplatform.

Wow.

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
It's about time Katamari went multiplatform. A game like that NEEDS to be on as many consoles as possible in order to spread its awesomeness. Also, being a traditionally "bargain" type game, expanding the Katamari franchise should only lead to bigger Katamari sales. Hopefully this turns out to be true!


I did retire the Nuon. Not because of Space Giraffe though.

Can't Wait!!!

Posted: Mar 22, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Probably my most anticipated Xbox Live Arcade title. Maybe now I can finally retire my old Nuon...that is, if it lives up to Tempest 3000.


I like XBLA. I still do. This was in reference to Jetpac Refueled, which I enjoy quite a bit.

Sweet.

Posted: Mar 23, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Awesome stuff. XBLA just gets better and better. I'm curious what happened to Sonic though...I would have loved to get achievements for it.


Hayters gonna Hayt.

Sweet.

Posted: Mar 29, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Here's hoping Hayter voices Snake in Super Smash Bros. Brawl...because I'll be sad if he doesn't.


I was wrong. Dimps just got worse and worse after the first Sonic Advance, with Rush being the only enjoyable title afterwards.

Stick to his roots.

Posted: Mar 30, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I wish they'd just keep on making sidescrollers. Sonic Rush was great, (Sonic Rivals, no so much). They just need to give Sonic to Dimps...they've been the only ones lately to dish out decent Sonic games. Also, screw story. SCREW.


Mother 3 soundtrack comes to the US iTunes store despite all common sense.

I thought it was an

Posted: Apr 03, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
April Fools joke at starmen.net...but then I thought "why do two jokes?" I checked iTunes, and was happy as a blue blue cult member to find that it was true. Downloaded.


All we ended up getting were stupid auido dramas. Yawn.

Snatcher! OMGOMGOMGOMG

Posted: Apr 16, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
That would be so friggin' awesome! A new Snatcher game codeveloped by Grasshoper and Kojima Productions! The mind boggles.


Sonic Rush Adventure was pretty stupid.

Sounds lame.

Posted: Apr 16, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Now, I love Sonic Rush...but hated that it had such strong [weak] story elements. Now he's fighting pirates!? For crying out loud Sega/Sonic Team, are you trying to ruin Sonic!? "Oh yeah, Pirates of the Caribbean is popular...let's make Sonic battle pirates! It'll be great!" Please...that said, Sonic Rush was still a solid game...and assuming this is the same team, I'm sure Sonic Rush Adventure will be fine... but now I'll be even more embarrassed to play it in public.


It was at the time, anyways. Now I can't decide.


Bonk's Revenge...

Posted: Apr 16, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
is without a doubt my favorite Bonk game. I'm pumped.


I felt inclined to defend Toejam and Earl 2 because people were badmouthing it.

TJ and E 2 is better...

Posted: Apr 19, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
than most people give it credit for. It's certainly not as open ended as the original (indeed, it's almost and entirely different genre), but it is one of the most gorgeous genesis games, period. Plus, the music is just as good as the original, not to mention the overall humor remains in tact. One thing's for sure; I've certainly played worse...oh, so much worse.



I'm relieved that Panzer Dragoon Orta finally became backwards compatible on the 360. Otogi and GunValkrie backwards compatibility sadly never happened.

2 Sega Games down, a few to go

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I still want to see the Otogi games make it on the list, along with the underrated GunValkyrie.


Internet speak lol (kill me now). Eets IS a good game, though.

Eets.

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
YES!!1!11! I've been waiting for Eets. When I heard it announced, I responded the same way I did when I heard Alien Hominid announced: OMGWTFBBQ!11!1!!



Speaking about Beautiful Katamari.


Sweet.

Posted: Apr 24, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I'm so pumped about this. I REALLY want to see how massive the scale is on a processing beast like 360 or PS3.


RROD sure did suck, huh? I was lucky for about a year, but it happened shortly after for me, as well.

I bought it at launch...

Posted: May 08, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
and it still works. However, all my friends' who bought it at launch have since died. Microsoft promptly repaired or replaced their 360s though, and we've never had trouble with M$ customer support.


I still think this would have been a good idea. Maybe someone will hack that in someday for emulation enthusiasts!

I really want...

Posted: May 15, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
a Super Smash Bros. on DS. Maybe like an upgraded port to the 64 version, but with the added b attacks from melee.


It wasn't though. Oh well. At least it added the stellar survival mode, though.

...Marathon: Durandal...

Posted: Jun 13, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Hmmm...as you can see, the original Marathon 2 was rated, and called Marathon 2: Durandal...but this one is called simply Marathon: Durandal. I'm hoping it's actually the entire trilogy put together into one giant supergame...or at least the first two in the series. The subtitle "Durandal" certainly wouldn't be inapproiate to the trilogy.


She was.

Sheik

Posted: Jun 25, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Sheik had better still be in it dangit. I'll cry if she isn't!


I should have been an editor at 1up; things like this wouldn't have happened as regularly. This was in reference to the Blast Works announcement, which didn't mention anything about it's indie roots.

Tumiki Fighters

Posted: Jul 02, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Old game is OOOOLLLLDDDD. This is an upgraded port of Tumiki Fighters from ABA Games, an independent Japanese studio. Look it up here. SERIOUSLY 1up, do some research! http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tf_e.html


I bad mouth the PSN version of Castlevania SotN, because it is just a PS1 port with no enhancements whatsoever.


Who Cares?

Posted: Jul 21, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I already have it on XBLA. There's achievements and leaderboards, which infinitely extends replay value. As for it being able to go on PSP...Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is coming out this year...and it features an UPDATED SotN, not to mention the awesomeness that is Rondo of Blood.


Sonic's Brawl announcement had me up all night. I was already up (Japan Time, and all that), but it KEPT me up.

OMG

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
SERIOUSLY! I AM SO UBER-PUMPED, I THINK I'M GONNA HAVE A HEART ATTACK. Still, I'm not too entirely pumped to be a little turned off by the Sonic Adventure music...but it's MUCH better than say...I dono, the remixed Ashely theme they revealed yesterday.


I explain the difference between ship dates and street dates. People still have trouble understanding the difference.

I work at a Videogame store...

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
...and it should be noted that the "release date," unless specified as "street dated," is technically the "ship date," meaning that unless you live really close to a distribution plant, you're not going to get it on "release date," but probably 1 to 2 days later. It sucks, but that's how it works.


I talk about the Lumines DLC.

The Rockin' Holiday Pack

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Is really good. Better than the advanced pack, IMO. Doesn't loop until after the level 80 song. Lots of skins, and although some skins suck, there are a lot of really good ones. A couple have a really oldschool feel, and the techno skins come off as catchy without being too repetitive. The free skins are good, especially Heavenly Star (which I got way back when it first came out). Breeze is nice, but not near as catchy as the first GR song.


I hate change.

BTW

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I'm getting Castlevania and Phoenix Wright...I guess I should get used to saying "Ace Attorney" instead...*sigh*


I explain who "that yellow guy" is to a fellow user.

The yellow guy

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
The yellow guy's name is Disk-kun, or Mr. Disk. He's the mascot of the Famicom Disk System in Japan. He even has a Melee trophy!


I was excited for the Persona 3 anime, which never really happened. Then P4 the Animation happened, and now P3 will actually get done this time! P4 the Animation is fantastic, btw.

I REALLY HOPE THIS MAKES IT TO THE US

Posted: Nov 08, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Seriously, I can't stop playing the game. Would make a perfect anime series.


Command and Conquer Tiberium was canceled. Oh well. I still like Renegade (it's multiplayer was so cool).

Renegade

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Renegade is under appreciated. The multiplayer was amazing, and although the single player wasn't GREAT (half-life rip off), it wasn't bad either. Had a lot of cool concepts that weren't executed as well as they could have been, so here's hoping to them being implemented well in this one.


Correcting 1up again.

This article is inaccurate

Posted: Oct 06, 2009 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
So, although it is true that SNK announced Metal Slug 7 for XBLA last year, it has still yet to be released. So, if anything, this should more or less make Metal Slug fans nervous of its [XBLA] cancelation. Seeing as the PSP version STILL isn't formatted for wide screen, I have a hard time believing this is simply a port of the XBLA version. So what I'm trying to say is, this article should reclarify the current situation concerning the XBLA version of Metal Slug 7.


They do sound a little similar, right?

Zero Wing and Black Sabbath

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
While Zero Wing will always be remembered for "All your base," it was actually a pretty awesome albeit slow paced shooter with a rockin' soundtrack...even if it wasn't entirely original.
The level 1 music (Natols) sounds an awful lot like Black Sabbath's Paranoid. Granted, it isn't exactly the same, but certain elements are very similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAxcSujM1iw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aIhh9nFYv4


I state my demands. They were met.

'nam Zombies

Posted: Jan 07, 2010 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
If there isn't a zombie mode (unlocked from the beginning) in this game, I'm not buying it. WaW was pretty straight forward (co-op was fun at least), but Nazi zombies was brilliant, especially conisdering it was just meant as a funny bonus mode. Unless the single player turns out to be considerablly better than WaW, I'm only interested in a new Zombie mode.


What happened to you, Yoshio Sakamoto?

The end of Metroid

Posted: Feb 03, 2010 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I can't believe he actually admitted it was "just an action game." Metroid without exploration is like Sonic without speed...and we all know how that's turned out in the past. :'(


This is still mostly true.

PSN needs PSN game demos.

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I haven't bought anything on the PSN since Pixeljunk Shooter, and don't plan on getting anything else until Pixeljunk Shooter 2. Early on, I bought a lot of stuff...but the quality of the various exclusive PSN titles released recently has been terrible (and they release at a trickle, compared to at least one XBLA game a week). They should copy the XBLA's "try before you buy" approach. Most people won't buy a game outright without trying it first.

Another thing they should do is market their exclusive games. It would help if they it had a brand name too; Xbox Live has Xbox Live Arcade, but PSN is PSN is PSN. PSN can refer to the network itself, or its games. Sure, there's PSN Minis, and I'm glad that those budget games have a seperate grouping...but games like Pixeljunk Monsters and Flow just get grouped with full blown retail games, which is idiotic.

With Xbox Live, on the other hand, I rarely make it a month without buying some awesome XBLA game.


Another videogame composer article, another blatant disregard for oldschool Western composers. Just PC and indie composers (not that they're bad, though).

Robin Beanland, Grant Kirkhope, etc.

Posted: Aug 02, 2011 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Not a single Rare composer? FOR SHAME!

And also Tommy Tallarico.


I explain how rhythm games aren't just "QTEs."

Kind of

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
Except that it HAS to be in rhythm. Think Parappa the Rapper or Umjammer Lammy. Just because those games involve characters on screen playing music, that doesn't mean the gameplay isn't still essentially a rhythm based Simon. Rhythm Heaven is probably a better example, since the minigames rarely focus on musical instruments, instead relying on goofy scenarios...which is what Rhythm Kaito R is: A rhythm game with a focus on a band of thieves.


I still agree with this sentiment. I have no clue what Sega was thinking making Valkyria Chronicles II PSP exclusive.

I'd care if it were on consoles...

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I loved the first VC. LOVED IT! But when I heard the sequel was a PSP exclusive, I felt betrayed. Don't get me wrong, the game is still solid, but VC deserves more than a scaled down semi-sequel. Sure, the graphics were solid (for a PSP game), and I'm sure VC3 will be solid for a Vita game...but there's so much lost potential in having it be stuck on a portable.

I'm still upset they're not translating it, and I'd have bought it just like I bought VC2...but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I'm just going to continue being pissed that Sega has lost their collective mind and has completely lost touch with their fanbase.


Hey, surprise surprise, I was proven mostly right! Nintendo still has no idea how online gaming works!

Online interface

Posted: May 29, 2012 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I'm still worried that Nintendo isn't taking online gaming seriously. I mean, heck, Microsoft and Sony are already PAST online gaming; their consoles are full blown onine entertainment machines. On one hand, Nintendo does have Netflix on Wii and 3DS...on the other hand, that's it.

I'm actually worried they'll be using friend codes again. If they didn't bother changing anything for the 3DS, then why start now? Speaking of 3DS, it puts my mind at ease a tiny bit; Mario Kart 7 got an honest-to-goodness update! That's a huge step forward for a company who's consoles have never supported patches.

The thing that sucks is this isn't even the worst-case scenerio. The worst thing that could happen is something akin to PC gaming [outside of Steam]; every game needs a unique username, and keeps a seperate friends list per game. Additionally, if Nintendo decides to be so hands-off that they let third party developers do whatever they want, then we'll likely see games like Call of Duty charging monthly/yearly just because they can. Heck, they could require an "always online" requirement on a game-to-game basis...I don't think the average Wii user even knows what that means, so I hope Nintendo knows what they're doing if they go down this road.

And say what you will about achievements, but I like that they all but force a company from rereleasing games (after they've been released with achievements, that is). I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm not super excited to buy Ocarina of Time for the 12th time...unless I get something like achievements to show for it. In which case, I'd never have a reason to buy it again.

Finally, having a solid online interface would save consumers money; Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing when they made it next to impossible to transfer digital games between systems. Despite the fact that they track every purchase a user makes, they still made most of their users rebuy games if they had to purchase a new system. I think the chances of the Wii U being able to transfer digital licences originally bought on the Wii (specifically virtual console titles) is somewhere near 0%.

I'll end with one more nitpicky thing; Club Nintendo requires a username, and can link your digital Wii, DSi, and 3DS purchases to this username. You get rewarded coins for buying these digital games just like when you register a physical game. However, if you have to repurchase all of your games because you bought a new system, not only do you have to purchase them again, you don't even earn Nintendo Coins for Club Nintendo. It's like they simply don't care.


A followup to a reply to the previous post, which thought 3rd party publishers being allowed to do whatever was a good idea.

In reply to dla1539

Posted: May 31, 2012 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
See, that's actually what scares me. This whole "bringing in 3rd-party help" thing reeks of "screw it, let them handle it." I'm worried that 3rd parties will be left to their own devices, and we could have the worst case scenario that I spoke of (the one where every different company has their own separate username/friend list). Now some may argue that that isn't such a big deal; after all, up until fairly recently, this was the rule for PC gaming. However, with Steam's huge online presence, even PC gaming has gotten quite a bit more streamlined [for the better]. I never want to go back to having a separate username for each individual game I play; I stopped doing that in 2001. If this is the interface the Wii U adopts, I will be very disappointed. Many other people will be disappointed too, even if they don't realize it at first. I sure as heck already hate how "Rockstar Passes," "Origin accounts," and "CoD Elite" are invading the once simple online scene. Imagine if Activision had full reign over the online service on the Wii U; you can bet CoD Elite would be required to play CoD titles.
All that said, that's not to imply that Xbox Live and PSN have it perfect. Both platforms could stand to be more open, and the bureaucracy involved in getting digital games released and patches rolled out is way more complicated (and secretive) than it needs to be. I'm not saying they need to be like the Apple Marketplace where anything goes (because that's a terrible idea), but it would be nice if Microsoft and Sony were more willing to give a developer/publisher a little more freedom to release digital content on their own terms.


Ok, that's it mostly. There's a few choice posts missing, mostly me pointing out inconsistencies in reviews, news, or whatever. Those articles were, big surprise, deleted fairly shortly after they were posted. One in particular that I remember is an atrocious review on Samba de Amigo for the Wii. The woman who reviewed it complained about the controls, which would be valid, and in a way still is valid, except that she didn't mention alternate control schemes. She said how much it sucked with the wiimote+nunchuck combo, but she never tried playing it with two wiimotes. Furthermore, she made it fairly apparent that she was unaware of the option, despite it being clearly stated on the back of the box, the manual, and in the in-game options. If I remember correctly, she said something like "if only there were other control methods," or something along those lines. Regardless, she didn't try it with the two wiimotes, which makes the game feel fairly similar to the Dreamcast original. There's even an advantage for people like me in particular with this control scheme; no height limitations. I was too tall to play the original Samba de Amigo effectively (I played on my knees), but with two wireless wiimotes, that's no longer an issue.

Anyways, besides that, I remember regularly pointing out inconsistencies whenever I found myself browsing the site. I liked some of their opinion piece stuff, and Retronauts is/was amazing, but for the most part I am not sad to see the site go away. All that said, there wasn't a better alternative; practically all videogame "news" sites are awful. So in that regard, 1UP was WAY better than the competition.

Good Lord, Kotaku is terrible...holy crap.

-AfroRyan
Seriously...it's so bad.

Edit: Found some more. Also, note that while somehow 1up didn't require a re-write of Crazy Taxi, a review that clearly wasn't accurate, they DID rewrite the Samba De Amigo review. I just looked it up. It must have happened quietly after it left the front page; it's a new article with 0 comments. If I remember correctly, the original score was a D, so my whining changed it. I think that's hilarious. Anyways, just a couple more:

A post pointing out how much Kinect's voice commands help with adjusting color/brightness/gamma in real time, compared to a traditional menu.

Kinect

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
The only thing that seems to be SUPER SUITED to being a Kinect feature is real-time changes to the graphics. I'm not talking about switching between classic and remastered; I'm talking about increasing or decreasing brightness and contrast. It's a sweet, intuitive feature that I'd love to become a standard. Setting that stuff in a menu, going back and forth, can make it hard to even tell how much has changed, even if they put a generic "you're not supposed to read the text on the top, the text in the middle is supposed to be barely read, and the text on bottom is supposed to be clear." Being able to just say it, and then see it happen in-game is pretty awesome.
Pointing out how much a Crazy Taxi review sucked. I can't believe the guy got paid to write something so bad.

I'm not sure Mr. Haske knows how to play this game...

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan
I'd like to see how many Crazy Box challanges he's completed...not many, I assume. The whole "try to quickly leave a grassy area from a dead stop" gives him away; all you have to do is do a couple boosts, and BAM, you're flying. Also, the complete lack of the terms 'boost' and 'drift' in this review are particularly damning when the game being reviewed depends on them. Also...did Steve ever play the original? Steve says that "somehow the so-bad-it's-almost good punk/alternative soundtrack still holds up." That's cool, except that it's all new music. Sega didn't bother renegotiating for the original Offspring music, so they replaced it. So what music "still holds up," Steve?
Also...I'm tired of reviews citing "bad graphics" as an issue for ARCADE PORTS. Seriously...it's about as bad as IGN saying the "lack of co-op" was an issue in the port of Galaga on XBLA...

I'll be the first to admit that Crazy Taxi 3 is leaps and bounds better than the first, but I don't think Steve bothered learning the basics before he wrote this review.

All that said, I'd still give this port a C-. The lack of the original YEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAH Offspring soundtrack removes much of the nostaligia, and after playing Crazy Taxi 2 or 3, the REAL problems with the first game are evident; unfair street layouts, fares that are just too far (you are forced to find the shortest routes/customers if you even hope to get a high ranking), and some glitchy collosion detection. The only things I can say that are cool new features are the leaderboard and achievements/trophies, but those are required on XBLA and typical on PSN...so it's not really something to dwell on.
So why even complain about the review when I still give it a C-? Because...reviews like this one are a disgrace to the site. Sorry Steve.

A reply (to a reply) to a guy who defended the review. Humorously enough, this guy made it obvious he hadn't actually read the review, but instead only read the review score, kind of how like the reviewer didn't play the game he was supposed to review, but essentially wrote a review based on his less-than-fond memories of the original incarnation.

...

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 12:00AM PST by  AfroRyan I can only assume that you only looked at the 'D' score. Most of us aren't mad at the D score (I'd give it a C- myself); we're mad because he clearly didn't play the XBLA/PSN versions. His numerous misleading errors and overall lack of information on what makes Crazy Taxi unique (there's a bit more than just going from point A to point B...there's drifting and boosting too!) are insulting no matter how you look at it. However, it's his assumption that the port still has the "so-bad-it's-almost good punk/alternative soundtrack [that] still holds up" that really pushes this review from bad to damning. We have to assume that he simply wrote the review based on his old memories of playing (and I assume sucking at) the Dreamcast/Arcade original.
Completely unprofessional. I'm willing to forgive and forget, but only if Steve gets his facts straight, learns how to play the game, PLAYS the game (the XBLA/PSN port), and then rewrites his review. I don't even want an apology; we all make mistakes.

No comments: